The History of E Cigarettes
The very first e cigarette was invented in 1963 by Herbert A. Gilbert. Who took out a patent for a non-tobacco cigarette. Although the smokeless cigarettes did work , the market place was not ready for it. With tobacco smoking being widely accepted in society. The e cigarette as we know it today was invented by a Chinese pharmacist called Hon Lik. He is said to have developed the device after watching his father die of lung cancer. Hon Lik launched his first e cigarette in 2003. Since then the industry has grown hugely in popularity across the world. As a safe alternative to traditional tobacco smoke.
Are E Cigarettes Safe ?
Although more research into the long term effects of vaping are needed. It is generally accepted that e cigarettes are far safer and healthier for you when compared to regular cigarettes. In an e cigarette the e-liquid is heated up to form a vapor which is then inhaled. Because the e-liquid is heated and not burned like a regular cigarette there are no carcinogens produced. There are also none of the 4,000 chemicals which are found in regular tobacco cigarettes. Recent studies have also found that e cigarettes are less additive than tobacco. So users find it easier to wean themselves of e-cigs compared to tobacco. There are also the following list of benefits to vaping :
- No Tar or Smoke.
- No Bad Breath.
- No Secondhand Smoke.
- No Ash.
- Improved smell and taste.
- Cheaper than tobacco cigarettes.
What is E-Liquid ?
E-liquid is basically the carrier for nicotine. It is typically made from 4 ingredients :
- Propylene Glycol : Normally called pg. PG is a tasteless, odorless and colourless liquid. Which is normally used as a food additive and in skin care products. PG is also used in theatrical smoke machines and causes the "throat hit effect" in e cigarettes.
- Nicotine : Nicotine is an additive chemical which is produced by a number of plants. For example red peppers, potatoes, tomatoes and the tobacco plant. Although nicotine is additive, studies have shown that it does not cause cancer. It has been shown to behave very similar to caffeine in the body.
- Flavourings : Food grade flavourings are added to e-liquid to create the different flavours, such as tobacco flavour etc.
- Distilled Water : Water is added to reduce the viscosity of the e-liquid and allow it to be vaporized easily.